Zambia: MMD Leader Mumba Nabbed, Charged

MMD leader Nevers Mumba was yesterday arrested in Kitwe after being interrogated for about five hours.

Dr Mumba was picked up from a guest house around 07.00 hours and driven to Kitwe Central Police Station where he was interrogated and charged with conduct likely to cause a breach of peace.

Police in riot gear surrounded Bellalova apartments in Parklands off Lukasu Drive as early as 05.00 hours.

He is alleged to have conducted himself in a manner likely to cause a breach of peace, contrary to the Laws of Zambia and would appear on January 4, next year.

Dr Mumba was released on police bond and the charge is in relation to his recent statement that the Government had paid some MMD members more than K1 billion to destabilise the opposition party.

“We have arrested MMD president Dr Nevers Mumba and charged him with conduct likely to cause breach of peace,” police spokesperson Elizabeth Kanjela said.

Ms Kanjela said the arrest was in relation with the statement Dr Mumba issued that the Government had paid some MMD members to destabilise the former ruling party.

Dr Mumba was detained at Kitwe Central Police Station from 08.00 hours until 12.45 hours when he was officially charged.

After his release, Dr Mumba said he had a responsibility to defend democracy and that he had reliable intelligence information on anything that destroys the future of the country.

“It is our responsibility to defend democracy. When Mr Sata was in the opposition, he said Rupiah Banda (former President) recruited policemen from Zimbabwe to come and rig the elections. We never arrested him,” he said.

He was represented by Jonas Mukumbi from Mukumbi and Company, Douglas Mazumba from Douglas and Partners and Victor Michelo from Michelo and Company.

Mr Mukumbi said that it was surprising that his client was detained around 07.00 hours and only charged at 12.00hrs.

“The police have taken unnecessary delay in charging him. Our client is denying the charge,” he said.

Dr Mumba’s special assistant Raphael Nakachinda was briefly detained in the cells.